Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Adios Chucktown!

Its finally here, I'm leaving the states. I will be away for 10 weeks. I will touch 3 new continents. I will visit 5 new countries. I will take dozens of planes, trains, and car rides. I will surf in 2 new oceans. I will take thousands of photographs. I will meet countless new people. I will learn more than I ever thought.

I am currently on hour 5 of a 32 hour journey to get to my final destination of Queenstown, South Africa. Yes, I said 32 hours. Aside from playing the waiting game (which I am doing now in Atlanta,) I will be taking 2 car rides at 2 1/2 hours and 3 plane rides at 22 hours. I guess thats not too terrible, given I am traveling about 8000 miles. The trans-atlantic flight is about 18 hours long, with a refueling stop in Dakar, Senegal. I land in Jo'burg, S.A. and then catch another 2 hour flight to East London, S.A. to meet Luke. Then, to end my hellacious day of travel, we top it all off with a 2 hour drive back to the Harrison Farm. I'm tired just typing about it. Good news: it will be 11pm when I get there, bedtime. Hopefully that will help the jetlag that I'm sure is to ensue.

I'll keep this short but sweet. There will be much more to see and say once I get to Africa. I want to thank you once again for reading this. It means a lot to me and I hope that in some way, when you see my pictures and read my words, you will be here with me. Wish me luck. I'll see you on the other side...

Linds

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Linds! 32 hours huh? That's crazy! I don't do well on planes! I wish you luck on all your journies..have fun,be safe, and tell luke I said hello! We will all miss you at the Chicken ... Love ya Girl!

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, be safe and enjoy the travels. Know that you go with our thoughts and love. Dad and Col

Anonymous said...

Hey Linds!! Happy to hear you made it there safe and sound. We're looking forward to reading about your trip. I'm sure you will have interesting events,with you there, how can there not be. Be Safe and Have Fun. Ride a wave or two for me!! I Love You, Aunt Kathy

Jeff Bryant said...

Have fun for all the working stiffs at home. My comment was a hell of a lot longer and much more interesting but I had to sign up for a google account and lost it. I think I see customers, gotta go. Be sure and box a kangaroo for me when you get to Australia. Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hi Linds!! I miss you alot already, but I am sooo excited for you. Hope you have caught up on your sleep. Tell Luke hello, and have a blast!! Talk to you soon....

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pic of the bridge!!! Have fun, take care. I cannot wait to read and look at all your experience through out the 10 weeks!!!

Love ya,
Chris and chris

Anonymous said...

Hey Linds,
WOW!! What can I say read your blog, how exciting. You must be having the time of your life. Can't wait to see your pictures on Christmas Eve at Aunt Nancys. Be safe and take care.
Love, Eileen, John, Mark & Amanda

Anonymous said...

You were right about "Yellowbeard". Glad to see you're having a great time in one of the world's biggest zoos. I think I saw about the same thing the monkey was doing when I was watching them in their cage at the Pittsburgh Zoo. Don't get to close!!!!!!
Take care.
Vaughn

johnny said...

Hi Lindsey, I am certainly enjoying reading about your trip.Wish I was there!Looking forward to your next chapter.Be safe,Johnny

Anonymous said...

Whats up Lins! How is that wine..I love south african red. Those painting are amazing...love the elephant one. Cant wait for your next blog.